Spoiler alert!… If you’re thinking this may be a shopping list aimed at material possessions, you’re way off track. I use this to measure my goals and express my highest potential.
My husband and I have been married for less than one year now (written Jan. 2017.) As we continue merging our lives, dreams, and goals together, it became clear to me that I needed to truly explore what it is I really want out of myself and out of life.
So, I came up with this exercise, which we both completed. It was very useful to us individually, and we also found it very helpful when discussing how we can bring our visions together. We still reference it to this day.
If you’d like to try this exercise, you can use the template outlined here “Attaining What You Want The Most”.
Here is what I came up with in January 2018.
I Want to Be:
Freedom to me means having the ability to express myself, via any means, with no obstructions to my truth.
The positive effects of freedom may include: connecting to my passions, endless creativity, personal development and expansion, zest for life, opportunity, and the ability to say no, or yes as I please/need.
Love to me is nurturing and sincere. Love is a divine connection to all that is. Love is not always enough for ego, but Love is always enough for love.
The positive effects of love are endless. To be love, is to be connected to grace.
To be spiritual to me, means living as a virtuous soul, while in this material body.
Positive virtues include: to be love, to be free, and to be devoted to grace.
The positive effects (and practices) of being spiritual include: cultivating and nurturing right thoughts, actions, energies, and words.
Healthy to me, means being physically, mentally, emotionally, and energetically in positive vibrations. Feeling able, stable, and good. It involves self-control, prioritizing, and commitment over time.
I Want to Experience:
- An intimate, strong, honorable relationship with my intuition.
- Expressing my highest potential, the best I am able.
- Nurturing relationships.
- Compassion, respect, and kindness for all.
- Fresh air.
- Something hilarious!
- Emotional intelligence.
- Intuitive fulfillment.
Experiences in the Near Future (1-5 years)
- Travel with my husband. I want to submerge into an array of diverse and distinct cultures across the globe. Particularly the United States, India, and other parts of Asia (Thailand, Japan, Indonesia to get started), Canada, Guatemala, Costa Rica, New Zeeland, Australia, and okay – Europe too. (Okay, this might take more than 5 years.)
- Help people experience intuitive fulfillment, through the Expressive Yogi platform. (As a Podcast Host, releasing one-two episodes per week, and occasional journal entries. Also, eventually by creating an online course.)
- Attend a vipassana retreat for 3 or 10 days.
- Volunteer WOOFING for several months, with my husband, in an exotic location.
- Teaching yoga in exchange for food and sleeping accommodations. (Money doesn’t make the world go ’round.)
- Perhaps hosting a yoga retreat.
- Learn to surf in the Pacific ocean.
- Rock climbing in nature.
Experiences in the Distant Future (5+ years)
- Renovating an old public/commercial space into our dream home, or design and build a tiny home. Either way, it could be in an up-and-coming city or in the jungle, preferably by a body of water.
- Raise children with my wonderful partner (although I question this desire often.)
- Perhaps write a book.
- Perhaps open a yoga studio/ retreat center in/close to our home.
- Astral projection. Because, it would be awesome in the true sense of the word.
- Continue inspiring and enabling people to grow, through the work shared on Expressive Yogi.
- Collaborate with capable teachers, to co-create profound resources for growth-seeking people.
- A deeper, even more, intrinsic experience of all the things I said I wanted to “be” in January 2018.